Thursday, April 15, 2010

In your opinion, Is a career in optometry worth it nowadays?

I have been working as a lic. optician for several years and have been considering a career in optometry. There are a few things holding me back such as student loans (for school tuition and personal expenses), the required classes I still have to take before I apply (about 5-6 math/ science courses), leaving a decent paying job to focus on school and the outlook after I graduate if I so decide to pursue the career.





I truly enjoy the eyecare field and would be delighted to advance in my career, however, I often hear optometrists in my practice complain about student loans and how long it is taking them to pay them off, lack of medical benefits (they don't always work full-time in one location) and how their dentist collegues make way more money than they do. So, all in all is it worth me going to optometry school to make an additional 20-40k plus having to repay a loan of about 150k?

In your opinion, Is a career in optometry worth it nowadays?
As someone who works in the medical field I can tell you that optometry is a noble field. Allow me to expound on this further. There are schools that are EXTREMELY selective nowadays about future optometry students. If you are interested, one of the best (if not THE best) schools to go to for this career is The University of Alabama at Birmingham. They only accept a few people from each state outside of Alabama, and the program is exceptional. I had a friend who was only one of two students from her state to get in and now, she is making great money with her own practice. She said they prepared her so thoroughly, they offered her a teaching position with their school upon graduation. Talk about good preparation! Something else to consider is a career in ophthalmology. Ophthalmology is typically in the College or School of Medicine at different universities. That career is more lucrative financially and the specialty itself is growing. While optometry is more practical, ophthalmology is more medical. It depends on how much time and money you're willing to invest in order to achieve either degree track. In the end, any investment in a degree is worth it. The short-term inconvenience of loans will diminish as the long-term convenience of your field demand and pay grows. The medical field is in dire need of people, and your contribution through eye care would be welcomed and valued. Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment